Friday, April 1, 2011

Media Asset Creation (MAC) Week 1-Comment 2 (Ashley's Page)

The videos I  viewed  this past week were very informative.  If I could sum it up in just one word, i would have to say that it was “overwhelming”.  I know that copyright is a very important issue, but I had no idea that it would be so involved and so detailed.  In part one, it was mentioned that there is a special set of lawyers who deal only in copyright law.  I guess that I should have know that it would be complicated just from reading that!    

Unlike most people, I didn’t enjoy the Disney outtakes that were used to discuss copyright.  I found the choppiness of the speech and the video to be very...what’s the word I’m looking for?  It’s that big word we learned in Design Principles and Education(DAE)...oh yeah.  It’s called cognitive overload!!  It was just too much for me.  I was straining to hear, and trying to keep up with the actions of the animated characters was extremely difficult.  I finally decided to just listen to it instead of trying to watch it.  That helped some, but I was so frustrated by that point that I’m not sure it really made that much difference.  

My favorite part would have to be the segments in part three on Creative Commons.  For the first time in life, I understood what it was.  Who knew that it could actually be explained in plain English??!! And I finally know and understand what all those little symbols mean!   This new knowledge will definitely come in a handy when project time rolls around in my classroom, which is pretty often.  I can explain to my students how to respect copyright a lot easier now that I have this information.

On a final note, I was EXTREMELY disappointed to find out why the “Eyes on the Prize” series is no longer available.  My friends and I grew up singing that song.  We have always equated it with the Civil Rights struggle that we say on that video.  It was such an important part of my education; I am saddened to know that it will not be available for my children.  This is truly an example of how negative the effects of copyright laws can be if we as a society don’t do something about it.  How much of what we create is ever truly 100% original? Are we not all influenced by some outside factor at some point?
Ashley Writes Week 1- Copyright: What does it look like?
Thursday, March 31, 2011
1 Comment Manage Comments for this Entry
Pam
You are right Ashley!  We actually teach our students to find connections to other stories or books we have read. Without people building upon others' ideas, we would never had had Facebook.
Friday, April 1, 2011 - 03:54 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment