Monday, April 4, 2011

Media Asset Creation (MAC) Week 2-Art of Possibility chapters 1-4


I really enjoyed the first two chapters of this book. I actually stated to feel like I was watching a TED video presented by the author of this novel . It read like a lecture. I find myself saying, "Where could we possibly go from the technology we have today?"  I have to remind myself that there are more blocks of stone to be chipped away at.

My mom tells me a story at how someone knocked on her door one day when she was young in the 1940's. A man was selling property on Collins Avenue in Miami Beach. Her father slammed the door, and said, "That land will all be under water in a few years." If only he didn't see the square his mind made. Ahhh the Art of Possibility.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting story about the man selling land. I have only lived here a few years and every future map that I've seen usually showed unpleasant things for Florida. But then the prices on homes dropped and it was less to buy than to rent so I bought. That's not really thinking outside the box, but it was at least taking a risk that I'd be able to pay the mortgage and make a life here in Florida (I'm from Southern California). I guess moving out here almost three years ago was thinking outside the box because I was making more money teaching middle school in SoCal. But I saw the possibilities in the job with Full Sail. And, it turns out, the school I used to teach at has converted to a vocational high school and many of the teachers transfered. So I might have had to find a job anyway. Life is weird that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this blog post. I have watched the TED and thought it was excellent. However, I have not read the reading yet due to the fact that I might have deleted the email for Vital Source download. I do though agree with how you used the more blocks of stone to be chipped away at. Technology has not reached its end. We are seeing more and more interesting things being produced more today than in say the 60's. We have not it a stand still we are actually manufacturing more today then ever. I love th way your mom put that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam,

    Did you happen to watch the TED talk with Benjamin Zander? I found it to be very moving and his Chopin demonstration was both humorous and effective. I also like his definition of success that he uses for himself now – how many shiny-eyed people that he has around him. In other words, how many people has he touched and reached? It’s a great example of becoming a contribution.

    I like the story of your mom and the land salesman. I believe that this is less about missed opportunity and much more about creating opportunity where none seems to exist. Just my take on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story Pam. I have never watched TED but I think I will now. I agree that technology is in no way at its peek but I a curious where do we go from here.

    ReplyDelete