Monday, April 4, 2011

Media Asset Creation (MAC) Week 1-Free Choice

I want to discuss Disney's Song of the South movie. While watching some of the copyright videos, I thought of this movie. I thought of this because I had to buy a version of it on Ebay, due to it not being sold in the USA.


This movie was discontinued for sale in the USA because according to Snopes.com, "it made slavery appear pleasant." After they opened Splash Mountain in Disney World, my father explained to me the ride was based on stories from the movie.  Finding this movie on Ebay was like finding a treasure since my father's tidbit of information. I sat eagerly watching it. I was of course an adult now. I was able to watch it and just enjoy the movie. I knew the harsh truths of slavery from what I learned in school. This didn't change my mind about the awfulness of slavery. I just sat watching, and looking at all the similarities of the ride. I even looked up historic facts about the movie and learned a little bit more of the history behind it. It was all interesting. It's too bad generations will miss out on the connections.


3 comments:

  1. Pam,

    I have never heard of that movie. I might have to view it. I am a huge Civil War fanatic. I study it and write about it all the time. I would like to see this movie. I am not sure what you mean by them making it seem like slavery was happy. Slaves made them selves happy by being with family, friends, singing, and putting themselves in different places. They made the best out of the worst. Slaves were tough people and I hope maybe thats what Disney tried portraying.

    Jeremy Mager

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. http://songofthesouth.net/index.php

    This site tells you all about it, and why Disney shut it down in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, you can read about it on snopes.com.

    ReplyDelete