Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Media Asset Creation (MAC) Week 2-Free Choice (Technology UG!)

This week I am feeling a bit frustrated with my students. I gave them a simple assignment using Voki to describe poems we read. I taught it, gave a rubric, an example, and directions in video format. The odds were against me because 50% of them didn't follow the directions. They were frustrated with the technology itself saying it wasn't working properly. Why didn't the students get excited like I thought? What do the get excited about? Is it just end of the year blues? Teenagers! Thank you for clarifying all the copyright laws in Wimba this week. I feel confident enough to make and present information legally. I can not play the ignorant card anymore. I will go that extra step to make sure I am using items within my fair use rights.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you did everything right and even more. Sometimes these things just don't work or the students just can't match it with what they should be getting out of the lesson. I think the best thing that can happen out of these situations for a 21st century teacher is that we can adapt quickly and realize that things won't always go as planned when it comes to using technology. I know we discussed this last week and I think that it is good sometimes when things go wrong because then it allows us to understand more what technology is best and when. Keep it up, sound like you're ahead of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are those wonderful plans and then there's what happens when we try them out with our students. And it changes from class to class, so one group might get it while the next completely misses the point. That's why one can never make assumptions or under-estimate how important it is to test things out before springing them on our classes (I'm not very good in this area at all). So, onward and upward, I say.

    ReplyDelete